Nothing says “summer” like grilling and pineapple! And this recipe will include both to help make your next chicken meal a little less boring. Don’t eat all the chips and dip beforehand so there’s room for this delicious dish!
Sure you could go for a store-bought marinade, but trust us – this homemade one with dates is well worth it! Jasmine or white rice is the perfect side, in our opinion, but sweet potato fries would be another yummy and healthy option – in case rice isn’t your jam.
Plan on making this recipe for your next BBQ! It serves four as written and you’ll have it whipped up in around an hour.
- 2 lbs. chicken, boneless (thighs or breasts or both!)
- 1 pineapple, skin and core removed
- 1 cup rice, dry (jasmine or white)
- Chopped green onions (for topping)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. chili powder
Directions for the Pineapple Chicken:
For the marinade…
- Soak the pitted dates in warm water to soften.
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Let the chicken marinate in the fridge for no more than 24 hours.
- After you remove the skin and core, cut the pineapple into circles.
- Turn on the grill to high heat and grill the pineapple and chicken.
- Remove the pineapple when it is grilled to your preference.
- Remove the chicken when it’s done, depending on the size/thickness of the pieces.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Serve the chicken and pineapple with the rice and top with chopped green onion. Enjoy!
Check out more recipes here on the blog!
What’s your favorite summer grilling recipe? Share with us in the comments!